How To Make The Perfect Smashed Avocado
Smashed Avocado A Popular Brunch Dish
Smashed avocado has become one of the hottest dishes on brunch menus and is popular with omnivores, vegetarians and vegans too. It is easy to make and yet is fresh, satisfying and looks so pretty too! The key thing is to make sure that the avocados are ripe without being over ripe and brown. You can choose to mash your avocado as roughly or as smooth as you like. Personally I like it quite chunky. Afterwards, you can have fun choosing your toppings whether it be smoked salmon, poached egg, toasted pine nuts or simply chopped coriander and tomato slices. Have fun and get creative !
How To Tell If Your Avocado Is Ripe
So how do you tell when an avocado is just right? Well, you simply peel off the small stem or cap at the top of the avocado. If it comes away easily and it is green underneath, you’re avocado should be ripe and ready to eat. If it’s brown it is most probably brown inside too.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and de-stoned
- 1 pinch dried chilli flakes
- ½ small garlic clove, finely chopped (or grated)
- The juice of ½ lime
- A pinch of sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice bread (sourdough or Irish Bread is perfect)
- Garnish: smoked salmon, poached egg, fresh chopped coriander, tomato or onion slices, toasted pine nuts, poppyseeds
- Optional: 1 x poached (or softly boiled ) egg
Place the avocado in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork until is it either as chunky or smooth as you like.
Add the chilli, garlic, lime juice, salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Toast your chosen bread and spread with the smashed avocado.
Choose from smoked salmon, chopped coriander leaves or tomato or onion slices to garnish.
- If you are feeling hungry, why not top with a poached egg too?
*** Recipes You May Like ***